We constantly refresh and revise our qualifications to make sure they meet industry requirements and our own high standards. From 1 October 2017 we are replacing the Emergency First Aid at Work and First Aid at Work qualifications with new, improved versions to bring them up to date with the latest guidelines.
What’s the difference between the old qualifications and the new versions?
- There have not been any significant changes to content, although each qualification has been updated and streamlined to align with the latest regulations:
- First Aid at Work Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 Guidance on Regulations (L74)
- Resuscitation Council (UK) Guidelines
- First Aid at Work Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1982 (Northern Ireland).
- The Emergency First Aid at Work qualification has been re-levelled to Level 3. This is in line with the full First Aid at Work qualification.
- The worksheets and paper remain unchanged but there have been some changes to the observation checklists. Some criteria can be met by the learner talking through the procedure for administering first aid but others must be demonstrated.
- Delivery and assessment times remain similar as Guided Learning Hours (GLH) and Total Qualification Time (TQT) need to meet the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) requirements.
We will do everything we can to help make the transition as smooth as possible for you and your learners. The last date for registration on the current qualifications will be 30/09/2017. From 01/10/2017 registrations will need to be on the new versions listed below:
- 603/1902/1 YMCA Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work - NEW
- 603/1903/3 YMCA Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work - NEW
These qualifications are replacing the current versions:
- 600/8544/7 YMCA Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- 600/8548/4 YMCA Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work.
Have the resources changed?
We have created a new Specification, Syllabus and Learner Assessment Record (LAR) for each of the updated qualifications. It is essential that centres use the correct resources.
The updated resources will be available for centres from September 2017 and they will be in the centre home area with ‘NEW’ after the title.
- For cohorts registered on or before 30.09.2017 you will need to use the resources with the qualification numbers starting 600 (current resources).
- For cohorts registered on or after 01.10.2017 you will need to use the resources with the qualification numbers starting 603 (NEW).
Will the current Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work still be recognised after September?
The Level 2 Emergency First Aid at Work qualification will continue to be recognised for three years following completion, meeting the requirements set by the sector.
If you have any questions or concerns about these changes, please contact email@example.com.