This qualification is aimed at learners wishing to become a personal trainer, but do not already hold the pre-requisite of a Level 2 Gym Instructing qualification.
This qualification is mapped directly to:
The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) professional standards for a Gym Instructor and a Personal Trainer.
The Register of Exercise Professionals National Occupational Standards for Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction (Gym) and Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training.
- Level of entry onto REPS: Level 3
Overview of knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Anatomy and Physiology required when exercise programming and design for a range of clients
- Importance of professionalism, customer service, effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding of commonly occurring medically controlled diseases and health conditions
- Health and safety requirements for the exercise environment
- How to gather and analyse client information and establish their current health and fitness status
- Planning and instructing gym-based exercise
- How to design and deliver a health and fitness programme suitable to an individual’s specific goals and level of fitness
- How to plan and conduct physical activity sessions within a variety of environments
- How to provide nutritional advice for physical activity based on a client’s needs
- How to prepare for employment, as a personal trainer, on either an employed or self-employed basis