A Level 3 sports massage therapist’s role includes planning, providing and evaluating sports massage treatments. Treatments can be carried out for pre-, post- and inter-event, maintenance and restorative purposes, using a range of basic massage techniques.
Scope of practice is restricted to working on dysfunctional tissue and excludes working on recent acute injuries or pre-existing conditions.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Principles of health and fitness
- Professional practice in sports massage
- The principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Fundamentals of sports massage treatments
Skills relating to the qualification:
- Assessment and screening of clients for sports massage treatments
- Formulation of massage strategies in accordance with clients requirements and expectations
- Application of fundamental sports massage techniques
- Evaluation of sports massage treatments