The aim of this qualification is to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours of learners to enable them to professionally prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment as a Level 2 Group Exercise instructor in the context of Exercise to Music (Freestyle).
This qualification is mapped directly to:
The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) professional standard for a Core Group Exercise Instructor and The Register of Exercise Professionals National Occupational Standards for Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction (Exercise to Music).
This qualification covers:
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the respiratory system
- the digestive system
- structure and function of the skeleton
- musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- Principles of working within an exercise environment, including customer service and how to maintain health, safety and welfare
- How to screen participants prior to taking part in a group exercise session
- How to promote the health benefits of physical activity
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan, and deliver a group exercise to music session (freestyle format) with apparently healthy adults. This may include older adults (50 plus) and (providing they are part of a larger adult group) young people aged 13-18.